Warm up this winter with a batch of freshly baked Heba Rusks! Not only is this recipe sugar and gluten free, it's delicious paired with a cup of coffee or tea.
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 ½ cup milk or dairy-free milk alternative
½ cup coconut milk
2 Tbsps apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180'C and line a baking tin with parchment paper.
- Add the milk, coconut milk and apple cider vinegar into a medium bowl. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes. ( separation is normal)
- In a separate mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Mix the eggs and vanilla essence into the milk mixture and then add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine.
- Pour into prepared baking tin and transfer to the oven. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool down completely before taking out of tin by pulling on parchment paper.
- Cut into rusks and transfer to tray, leaving enough space between all the rusks.
- Set the oven to fan mode on 110'C and dry out the rusks for 6-7 hours . Once you take them out they might seem a little chewy in the center still, but once they cool down completely they get crispier.
- Store in air-tight container with a lid.